Flowplayer · hlsjs plugin
The Flowplayer hlsjs plugin allows to play HLS streams in browsers which do not support HLS. And it does so without the need for Flash. This results in a performance improvement and avoids increasing restrictions on Flash imposed by browser manufacturers and in-house company policies. Simply by loading the plugin the widest possible audience range enjoys the benefits of Adaptive Bit Rate streaming (ABR).
In the life stream example only manual HLS level selection can be offered.
Advantages over Dash (a similar technology):
- no additional source required to cover an even wider range of clients
- works with the HLS streams or your Flowplayer Drive account (like the example above)
Compare with the dashjs plugin.
Playback relies on the MediaSource-feature of browsers and the MediaSource implementation must reliably support segmented MPEG-4 video so hls.js can handle it. Your browser: .
The hlsjs engine plugin is packed with a compatibility tested version of the hls.js client library. It offers various ways to improve fine tuning the HLS experience in the player configuration which are not available with builtin client implementations.
Source picking order
- HLS (ABR) via hlsjs engie: Chrome 34+, Firefox 42+, Internet Explorer 11+, Opera 30+, Chrome 34+ for Android
- HLS (ABR) generic: Safari, iOS, most mobile devices
- HLS (ABR) Flash: browsers with Flash enabled
- WEBM (fallback)
- MP4 (fallback)
Then the player can be installed as usual: